The Mariners farm system is vastly improved from this time last year (remember when Dan Cortes was in the top 10 *shudders*) but my ADHD is not, so let’s get right to the action:
1. Jesus Montero (.328-4 HR-12 RBI-.996 OPS in 61 AB’s with Yankees): Monster bat, not much glove. The next Edgar Martinez?
2. Taijuan Walker (6-5, 2.89 ERA, 1.11 WHIP, 113 K’s in 96.2 innings with Clinton Lumberjacks): Uber-athletic pitcher with ace upside and silly name.
3. Danny Hultzen (1-0, 1.40 ERA, 18 K’s in 19.1 innings in Arizona Fall League): Powerful lefty who should be M’s number two starter soon.
4. James Paxton (6-3, 2.73 ERA, 1.22 WHIP, 131 K’s in 95 innings with Clinton/Jackson): Not related to Bill. Projects as poor man’s Cole Hamels.
5. Nick Franklin (.281-7 HR-26 RBI-.770 OPS in 352 AB’s with High Desert/Jackson): Will be superstar if he can stay at shortstop.
6. Francisco Martinez (.289-10 HR-69 RBI-.746 OPS in 477 AB’s with Lakeland/Jackson): Part of Fister deal. Raw talent, high upside at third.
7. Chance Ruffin (1-0, 3.86 ERA, 1.57 WHIP, 15 K’s in 14 innings with Mariners): Name sounds like dog trying to say “muffin”. Future closer?
8. Tom Wilhemsen (2-0, 3.31 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 30 K’s in 32.2 innings with Mariners): Used to smoke dope, now smokes hitters with varied arsenal.
9. Vinnie Catricala (.349-25 HR-106 RBI-1.021 OPS in 521 AB’s for High Desert/Jackson): Surprised many with breakout 2011. Can he find a position?
10. Phillips Castillo (.300-1 HR-27 RBI-.848 OPS in 170 AB’s with Arizona League Mariners): Born in 1994. Recently rented first R-rated movie*.
Filed under: Uncategorized | Tagged: baseball america, bill paxton, chance ruffin, cole hamels, danny hultzen, francisco martinez, james paxton, jesus montero, nick franklin, phillips castillo, ruffin top, taijuan walker, tom wilhemsen, twister, vinny catricala |